|How to Replace a Water Heater or Call a Plumber
If you own a home chances are you never give the water heater a
second thought — until it stops working. We often are asked by our
customers if removing and replacing a water heater is a difficult job for
the do-it-yourselfer. The correct answer depends on the level of skill
Water heater installation is not recommended for the weekend warrior.
There are too many things that can go wrong, such as--
- Improper sweating of pipes (solder) that will not stop leaking.
- Inadequate venting requirements that will prevent the water
heater from staying lit (This is a very common problem with the
modern direct vent water heaters.)
- Pilot lights that refuse to stay lit
- Shortage of part and pieces that may be required
- The tools needed are not in the toolbox.
Copyright 2012 All rights reserved
What can be worse than "winging it" throughout the day and just when you think you are done you turn on the water and your
solder joints are leaking all over the place. It is 7:00 at night, you're tired, frustrated and you have to tell the family there will be
no hot showers in the morning. Before you attempt to replace a water heater it is a good idea to become acquainted with the
types of water heaters on the market. If located in NE Ohio call these guys and have a professional installation.
TYPES of WATER HEATERS
- Gas (30, 40, 50, 75 gallon)
- Electric (40, 50, 80 gallon)
- Propane (30, 40, 50, 75 gallon)
- Tankless water heaters
- Solar water heaters
TOOLS and MATERIALS NEEDED
- Pipe cutters for copper pipe. They come small,
medium, large. A small and a medium will suffice.
- Channel Locks, 2 pairs.
- Pipe wrench might come in handy
- Soldering torch and a good tip
- Hex head screw driver (for vent screws)
- Emery cloth, solder, paste
- Box cutters
- Tin snips for metal vent pipe
- Teflon tape
- Self-tapping sheet metal screws
- Appliance dolly or a couple of workers with strong
What to consider before attempting to replace water heater.
When replacing a water heater you may need additional black pipe
nipples and fittings in different sizes, 1/2" to 3/4" copper pipe,
various copper fittings, additional 3" vent pipe.
Ask the Plumber How to Replace a Water Heater
Water Heater Repair and Replace a Water Heater Plumbing Service Areas: Counties of Cuyahoga, Geauga, Medina, Portage, and Summit.
Cities include Akron, Auburn, Aurora, Bainbridge, Barberton, Bath, Beachwood, Bedford, Brady Lake, Brimfield, Broadview Heights,
Brunswick, Canton, Chagrin Falls, Chesterland, Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, Copley, Cuyahoga Falls, Doylestown, Ellet, Fairlawn,
Garrettsville, Gates Mills, Green, Hiram, Hudson, Hunting Valley, Jackson Twp., Kent, Lakemore, Lyndhurst, Macedonia, Mantua,
Massilon, Mayfield Hts., Medina, Moreland Hills, Newbury, Norton, Orange, Peninsula, Pepper Pike, Portage Lakes, Ravenna,
Reminderville, Shaker Heights, Silver Lake, Solon, South Euclid, Springfield Twp., Stow, Strongsville, Streetsboro, Tallmadge, Twinsburg
|Servicing Cleveland/Akron Ohio and suburbs
SAME DAY SERVICE 330-524-5626 Call/text